Monday, December 7, 2009

I was recently asked what my favorite musical was...

I'm in Grad School for Library Science, what I call library land, and I've been fortunate enough to have a term project (for a Sources/Services in the Humanities course) and be able to choose my topic: Musical Theater. It's an online program so class discussions are in the format of a discussion board. Knowing what my term project was about, someone asked me, "What is your favorite musical?" This is funny because it's an impossible one title answer and I get this a lot for work too - "What is your favorite book?" Just as impossible to answer. But below is my answer for the musical question.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAHA! That's like asking a book reviewer for their favorite novel :) I love this question and I love talking about them so I'll give you a few favorites. Musicals are in 3 sections for me: classic shows, new shows, random songs/composers (meaning i may not buy the cd, but i'll take a few songs).

Classics: Les Miz - story, music, vocal talent. Carousel, South Pacific, My Fair Lady - classic songs. Cole Porter, Gershwin, Rodger's and Hammerstein are Gods. Childhood fav = The Sound of Music.

New Ones: Parade (based on a true story)- and anything by Jason Robert Brown. Trust me, he's gonna get huge. Bat Boy (yes seriously), A New Brain, Wicked.... I like the style musical theater has taken on of more 'belting' vocally than pretty singing (i.e. Rodger's and Hammerstein, etc).

Those hidden gems: Next to Normal (2009), Side Show (1999 or 2000), Little Women (early 2000s), Legally Blonde (2008?), The Wild Party (early 2000s) , 1776 (late 90s), Phantom, even Titanic and Cats.... all have great songs. Jason Robert Brown, as mentioned, is fabulous and modern but very good at chords and lyrics. Andrew Lloyd Webber always has pretty stuff, but my heart will always love the classics. Ragtime, Big River (based on Huck Finn), Little Shop of Horrors... I could go on for to me, most shows have at least one or two good song be it for lyrics or vocals.

Stephen Sondheim... his own category. All his stuff have modern twists - Sweeny Todd, Company, Into the Woods... I'm really just learning about him but he's different and bold and was a new force in the 1970s and helped evolve theater.

My problem is I may not always love the soundtrack, but there are usually a few songs that strike me of there are people I follow and because i love their voices I will listen to whatever they're in - Sutton Foster, Kristin Chenoweth, Brian D'Arcy James (even in his role of 'shrek' for Shrek the musical, which I'm waiting to hear as it has both Sutton and Brian).

So I have many combination CDs i sing along to in my car and my ipod of course has a Broadway category :) don't get me started. my poor family, friends, fiance know way too much on musicals. I keep thinking someday I'll find the job that rewards me for this random knowledge.

Thanks for asking, thanks for reading :) As I've seen Les Miz about 10 since since the age of 8.... I guess based on what I'm willing to sit through repeatedly and pay for, it's Les Miz - story, powerful, lyrics... and I still tear up at it.


Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment